Friday, October 7, 2011

Apple-Picking Season

A couple weeks ago we went apple-picking at a local orchard, and I took lots of pictures that I thought my dear readers might like.


 
It was ever so much fun...I really enjoyed pretending to be a peasant maiden picking apples for the lord of the manor.  Or perhaps I was a Waterhouse painting.  Either one will do.



A dear friend who shares my name. She and her family were with us on our apple-picking expedition.

Have you ever smelled an apple orchard?  It's so strange - sort of a heavy sweet smell.  I never liked it when I was little, but now I love it because it's nostalgic.  It reminds me of Germany.




We picked two bushels of apples.






Well....I did a lot more photography than picking, but my family picked two bushels.  I contributed whenever I found a particularly pretty apple, but otherwise I talked to Victoria, took pictures, and enjoyed the scenery.  It was lovely. 



We took all our apples home, dehydrated some, made applesauce with others, and ate the rest.  They taste rather different from the bland, waxy, chemical-treated apples you buy from the supermarket.

Have you ever gone apple picking? Do you have a favorite recipe?  Anything else apple-related to share? Do tell!






1 comment:

  1. I love apple picking! Unfortunately, I haven't been yet! But my mom and sister went. I have a never fail recipe for apple pie, and the apple crisp mix we get from the apple farm (which is owned by friends and x-co-workers of my dad) is fab! Anything I make with apples never lasts long in our house! (p.s. Gallas are our favorite.)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read every single one of them, and I'll usually check out my commenters' blogs, if I don't follow them already. I try to reply to my comments, but please don't be offended if I don't make it to yours. Procrastination habits do extend to comment replies, unfortunately.

Of course, courtesy is necessary. I will delete any comments which do not meet my requirements.

Thanks for making the effort to tell me your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...