Monday, February 13, 2012

Favorite Poetry: Catholic Hymn

via Pinterest

Catholic Hymn
by Edgar Allan Poe
Sancta Maria!  Turn thine eyes
Upon the sinner's sacrifice
Of fervent prayer and humble love,
From thy holy throne above.
At morn, at noon, at twilight dim
Maria!  thou hast heard my hymn.
In joy and wo, in good and ill
Mother of God! be with us still.
When my hours flew gently by,
And no storms were in the sky,
My soul, lest it should truant be - 
Thy love did guide to thine and thee.
Now when clouds of Fate o'ercast
All my Present, and my Past,
Let my Future radiant shine 
With sweet hopes of thee and thine.


NOTES: "wo" is not a typo.  That's the way Poe wrote it, and apparently it's just a shortened form of "woe", though why he couldn't put the e on the end is beyond me.
Poe was not a Catholic.  This poem is recited by one of his characters in a story.  It's very interesting to study Poe's Catholic sympathies, though.  I've been looking it up on the internet.
Hope you liked this poem!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I read every single one of them, and I'll usually check out my commenters' blogs, if I don't follow them already. I try to reply to my comments, but please don't be offended if I don't make it to yours. Procrastination habits do extend to comment replies, unfortunately.

Of course, courtesy is necessary. I will delete any comments which do not meet my requirements.

Thanks for making the effort to tell me your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...