Thursday, February 2, 2012

Candlemas (Feast of the Purification)



I was planning on writing this nice long complicated post about Candlemas (complete with poetry, theology, and pictures), but then I got overwhelmed by all the information, bored, lazy, and impatient.  Oh wait....that's my normal state of existence, isn't it.... never mind, then.

So it's the feast of Our Lady's purification, the feast of Our Lady of Good Success, and the feast of Candlemas.  Basically that means three things:

1.  You should read the prophecy of Simeon in the Bible, and try to meditate on it a bit.
2.  Um....it's the feast day of Our Lady of Good Success.  Say a prayer to her or something.
3.  Christmas is officially over.  Begin looking forward to the penitential-ness of Lent.

I really feel guilty about the low quality of this post, but I just don't feel like writing up a nice one.
  Here are a few links to supplement the non-existent information in this post:
http://www.fisheaters.com/customstimeafterepiphany3.html
http://www.traditioninaction.org/SOD/j059sdPurificationOLGS2-2.html
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03245b.htm
 And the simplest, most comprehensive one: http://www.churchyear.net/candlemas.html
 
Our Lady of Good Success, pray for us! (via)

1 comment:

  1. I always wondered when Candlemas was. You hear about it in so many books set in old days, but there's never an explanation for when exactly it is in the year. This is definitely something I'll have to remember.

    You're welcome to repost the first half of my post with proper credit and links etc. I'm actually quite flattered you asked. it's the first time anyone has asked to use one of my posts. Oh, and thank you for your lovely long comment. It inspired me to write a very long comment back.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read every single one of them, and I'll usually check out my commenters' blogs, if I don't follow them already. I try to reply to my comments, but please don't be offended if I don't make it to yours. Procrastination habits do extend to comment replies, unfortunately.

Of course, courtesy is necessary. I will delete any comments which do not meet my requirements.

Thanks for making the effort to tell me your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...