Monday, August 15, 2011

Feast of the Assumption


Today is the solemn Feast of the Assumption, or Marymass.  The feast commemorates the assumption of Our Lady into heaven, body and soul, and is a holyday of obligation.

Traditional celebrations of this feast usually have a lot to do with herbs and flowers, as an old legend tells that after Adam's fall, all the flowers lost their scent, and that as a special favor to His mother, Our Lord restored their scent when she left the world.  The Bible account of this event says that her tomb was filled with flowers when she had left it, and they filled the air with their sweet fragrance.  I guess this is where the legend comes from.
This link gives more information.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I read every single one of them, and I'll usually check out my commenters' blogs, if I don't follow them already. I try to reply to my comments, but please don't be offended if I don't make it to yours. Procrastination habits do extend to comment replies, unfortunately.

Of course, courtesy is necessary. I will delete any comments which do not meet my requirements.

Thanks for making the effort to tell me your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...