Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lenten Reflections, Pt. 3

Meditation 129: The Daily Cross
Meditation, p. 380

"He that taketh not up his cross, and followeth Me, is not worthy of Me" (Mt. 10, 38).  By these words, the divine Master expressly declares that one of the indispensable conditions for being Hid disciple is to carry the cross.  The word cross, however, should not make us think only of special sufferings, which, while not excluded, are not generally our portion.  First of all, we must think of those common daily disagreeable things which are part of everyone's life and which we must try to accept as so many means to progress and spiritual fruitfulness.
It is often easier to accept, in a burst of generosity, the great sacrifices and sufferings of singular occurence, than the little, insignificant sufferings, closely connected with our state in life and the fulfillment of our duty: sufferings which occur daily under the same form, with the same intensity and insistence, among endless and unchanging circumstances. [...] Herein lies the genuine cross that Jesus offers us daily, inviting us to carry it after Him - an unpretentious cross, which does not require great heroism, but which does demand that we repeat our Fiat every day, meekly bowing our shoulders to carry its weight with generosity and love.

via pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day! I read every single one of them, and I'll usually check out my commenters' blogs, if I don't follow them already. I try to reply to my comments, but please don't be offended if I don't make it to yours. Procrastination habits do extend to comment replies, unfortunately.

Of course, courtesy is necessary. I will delete any comments which do not meet my requirements.

Thanks for making the effort to tell me your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...