Friday, August 16, 2013

The Imitation of Christ: Of Asking Divine Assistance, and of Confidence of Recovering Grace

I read this chapter of the Imitation this morning and thought, as I found it very consoling, my readers might as well.  It might be a tiny bit long for some people, but think about the fact that I typed two-thirds of the chapter out for you and stick with it. :p

The Imitation of Christ
by Thomas a Kempis
Chapter 30
CHRIST:
Son, I am the Lord, who give strength in the day of trouble.
Come to Me when it is not well with thee.  This is that which most of all hinders heavenly comfort, that thou are slow in turning thyself to prayer.
For before thou earnestly prayest to Me thou seekest in the meantime many comforts and delightest thyself in outward things.
And hence it comes to pass that all things avail thee little till thou take notice that I am He that delivers those that trust in Me.  Nor is there out of Me any powerful help, or profitable counsel, or lasting rememdy.
But now having recovered spirit after the storm, grow thou strong again in the light of My tender mercies; for I am at hand to repair all, not only to the full, but even with abundance and above measure.
2.  Is anything difficult to Me? or shall I be like one that promises and does not perform?
Where is thy faith? Stand firmly and with perseverance.
Have patience and be of good courage, comfort will come to thee in its proper season.
Wait for Me, wait, I will come and cure thee. It is a temptation that troubles thee, and a vain fear that frightens thee.  What does that solicitude about future accidents bring thee but only sorrow upon sorrow? "Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof." (Matt. 6:34).
It is a vain and unprofitable thing to conceive either grief or jor for future things, which perhaps will never happen.
3.  But it is incident to man to be deluded with such imaginations; and a sign of a soul that is yet weak and to be easily drawn away by the suggestions of the enemy.
For he cares not whether it be with things true or false that he abuses and deceives thee, whether he overthrow thee with the love of things present or the fear of things to comee.
"Let not, therefore, thy heart be troubled and let it not be afraid." (John 14:27).
Believe in Me and trust in My mercy.  When thou thinkest I am far from thee, I am often nearest to thee.  When thou judgest that almost all is lost, the oftentimes it is that thou art in the way of gaining the greatest merit.

5 comments:

  1. Wait for Me, wait, I will come and cure thee. It is a temptation that troubles thee, and a vain fear that frightens thee. What does that solicitude about future accidents bring thee but only sorrow upon sorrow? "Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof." --- poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has come at the right moment for me. Thanks Victoria!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite books ever. This is lovely. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ruth - oh, I'm SO glad! Every time I post a meditation or an encouraging quote or something I'm just hoping so hard that I'll be of use to someone who really needs a lift. You are very welcome.

    Clare - it's one of my favorites too! This is actually my second go-round with it, and it's even better the second time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I read every single one of them, and I'll usually check out my commenters' blogs, if I don't follow them already. I try to reply to my comments, but please don't be offended if I don't make it to yours. Procrastination habits do extend to comment replies, unfortunately.

Of course, courtesy is necessary. I will delete any comments which do not meet my requirements.

Thanks for making the effort to tell me your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...